PW-19-110, Planner I, Permanent Full time
|Open Date||Sep 03 2019 - 04:00:00 PM||Close Date||Sep 24 2019 - 04:00:00 PM|
|Position Title||PW-19-110, Planner I, Permanent Full time||Posting Type||Public Works|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Permanent Full Time|
|Department Group||Planning Administration||Hours per Week||35|
|Salary Range||$26.43 - $34.79|
THE UNITED COUNTIES OF LEEDS AND GRENVILLE
Public Works Division invites applications for the position of:
Planner 1, Permanent Full-Time
Start Date: Immediately
2019 Salary Grid D: $26.43 to $34.79
Location: Brockville, Ontario
Reporting to the Manager of Planning Services, the Planner 1 will assist with the full range of Counties planning functions on a day-to-day basis, including supporting the Manager of Planning Services with planning/development applications. The Planner 1 will assist in the interpretation and administration of the United Counties Official Plan.
Education, Certification & Licenses
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Planning, Geography or related field, or combination of equivalent education and experience.
- Registered Professional Planner (R.P.P) is preferred, membership with the Canadian Institute of Planners would be considered an asset.
- The possession and maintenance of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is required.
- Minimum two (2) to three (3) years’ experience in municipal planning or related field.
- Possess a sound knowledge of municipal planning operations.
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Computer literacy with basic software (MS Word and Excel) and Geographic Information applications.
Summary of Position Responsibilities:
Preparation of Planning Documents (approximately 35%)
- Assist with the preparation, research or project management of background studies related to the Counties Official Plan such as an aggregate resources review or a natural heritage strategy or other special studies/projects related to Counties planning;
- As delegated by the Manager of Planning Services, coordinate and administer applications for planning approvals under the Counties responsibility, such as but not limited to, consents, plans of subdivision/condominium, part lot control, local Official Plan amendments including 5 year Official Plan updates, new municipal Official Plans and processing amendments to the Counties Official Plan;
- Prepare reports with recommendations on all Counties Planning applications for review and approval by the Manager of Planning Services.
Consultation (approximately 25%)
- Consult with and coordinate information to other Counties divisions and departments and external agencies as required for the appropriate processing and coordination of planning applications;
- Handle day-to-day planning enquiries and application pre-consultation requests from the public, developers, real estate professionals, Counties Councillors, as well as providing planning opinion and technical requirements to the public, developers, real estate professionals, Counties Councillors, etc. respecting land use planning;
- Support area municipal planners and any municipal partners’ staff performing planning functions;
- Liaise with external organizations and committees, such as MMA, CRCA, RVCA, SNC, etc.;
- Provide expert testimony to the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal, as required;
Research (approximately 20%)
- Conduct research, analysis and support for recommendations related to special studies, planning policies, land use and development issues.
- Assist with application tracking in databases, monitoring and reporting on planning applications.
General (approximately 20%)
- Provides support/back-up as the secretary/treasurer as necessary to the Consent Granting Authority.
- Assists with the review and preparation of Counties site plan comments and planning screening of consent applications.
Other related duties, as requested and required.
- Performs the responsibilities of the position within the legislative and regulatory standards set out in the applicable Federal and Provincial Legislation; Municipal Act, By-Laws and Operational and Human Resource policies and codes of the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville.
- Ensures a high level of respect for confidentiality for both the organization as a whole and staff as per the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).
- Protects own health and health and safety of others by adopting safe work practices, reporting unsafe conditions immediately, and attending all relevant in-services regarding occupational health and safety. Follows all guidelines for employees and employers as legislated under the Ontario Health and Safety Act.
- As set out in the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville’s Emergency Plan, perform duties upon the declaration of an emergency.
SUPERVISORY / MANAGEMENT OR ADVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Position is non-supervisory with advisory responsibilities
- Provides functional guidance occasionally to others at various levels of the organization related Counties planning applications.
INDEPENDENCE OF ACTION:
- Employee is provided with general direction only and works with general objectives and specific legislation/regulation.
- Assignments provided by the Manager and various external agencies can be non-routine and employee plans and carries out work to meet direction provided.
- Employee is in an individual position in a small work unit where policies and standards are not always clear. Unusual matters are referred to the Manager.
ERROR & BUDGET RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Errors may cause embarrassment to the organization and/or a moderate monetary loss. The effect is usually confined within the organization.
- Some work is not subject to verifications or check, errors may be uncorrected for significant intervals. However, they are usually discovered before results are considered serious. Errors caused by misinterpretation of documents, lead to application processing errors and potentially errors in land use permissions.
- Responsible for custody of significant documents (planning documents and confidential pre-consultation proposals).
- Position does not have budget responsibilities.
- Position has daily contact with confidential data as all inquiries and pre-consultations are confidential and relate to land sales/value.
- Using proper protocols, there is little opportunity for disclosure of information to others outside of the Counties.
The regular internal contacts for this position include, the Manager of Planning Services, the Secretary-Treasurer Consent Granting Authority, GIS staff, Roads Patrol Supervisors, Accounting Clerks and Public Works Administrative Assistants. Inside contacts may involve requesting application comments, obtaining information and maps for reports and recommendations, receiving and settling transactions, and co-ordinating others involved in similar work, but not at a direct supervisory level.
Outside contacts are of a regular nature and include Planners from local municipalities, Conservation Authorities, provincial ministries and other Planning Agencies.
Tact and courtesy are required when dealing with others, primarily for providing, obtaining or exchanging information.
PHYSICAL SKILLS AND EFFORT:
- Periods of physical strain involving some fatigue and regular use of office equipment with some coordination and speed required where work operations are not constant and there is choice of workflow.
- Position requires considerable visual and auditory attention with attention to detail.
- Some exposure to disagreeable conditions
- Mostly inside work, in noisy office environment.
- Work involves frequent interruptions to respond to demands.
- Work outside of normal business hours to meet organizational needs as required (minimal).
- Infrequent overnight trips for training.
Resumes should be marked “Competition # PW-19-110 (Planner I, PFT)” and apply online by 4:00 p.m. on /before Tuesday, September 24, 2019 at 4:00 p.m to: https://careers.leedsgrenville.com
Applicant information is collected under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA), and will only be used for candidate selection.
The United Counties of Leeds and Grenville is committed to providing a recruitment and selection process that is both inclusive and free from barriers. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available upon request, and will be provided in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
Applicants are required, in advance, to make any accommodation request known to Human Resources by contacting the department at 1-800-770-2170 extension 2308 or TTY 1-800-539-8685. Human Resources will strive to provide reasonable and appropriate accommodation for all applicants, during the recruitment and selection process, which will ensure the process, is conducted in a fair and equitable manner.
AttachmentsPW-19-110 Planner I, PFT.pdf
When applying for a position, please sign in using your account email and password. If you do not already have an account, please click on the “Don’t Have an Account?” link found on the sign in page. Please note that all applicants will need to create an account in order to apply for positions.